Why study them? “So that you may BELIEVE that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God…”
That’s why. That’s the “punch line”
In fact each of the seven miracles, as they ramp up and get bigger and bigger, have a punch line. There are all kinds of details that are important to read surrounding each miracle, but each one has something in common – a punch line
- Jesus changes water into wine – He manifested (displayed in himself) his glory and started revealing throught this first miracle so that at the very least his disciples would believe in him.
Punchline = “What Jesus did here in Cana of Galilee was the first of the signs through which he revealed his glory; and his diciples believed in him
- Jesus heals the official’s son – This man of power believed Jesus would heal his son, even when Jesus was not present to do so.
Punchline = The man took Jesus at his word. THe official believed and it was done. (John 5:14)
- Jesus heals a disbled man at the Pool of Bethesda – Jesus tells the ban to get up and walk after he hasn’t been able to for 38 years. So the man gets up and walks away. But the man’s healing is not the punchline
The punchline comes later when Jesus tells that man since he has been made well, he should stop sinning. (John5:14)
- Jesus feed the crowd of 5,000 – Jesus does not just fee them miraculously with with a few loaves of bread and a couple of fish, he gives them, this stadium size crowd “…as much as they wanted”.
Punchline/Meaning what Jesus gives us is enough, and them some. We can count on him for enough. (John 6:11)
- Jesus walks on water – After he preforms this miracle, Jesus gavis his “I am the bread of life speech”, reminding people that there are all kinds of signs that have pointed to him as the Son of God, but many would not belived and turn away regardless of what miracles are preformed.
But Peter declares this punchline: “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. Also, we have come to believe and know that you are the Christ, the Son of the living God (John 6:68 – 69)
- Jesus heals a man born blind – Jesus heals the blind man on the Sabbath day – it became more about the “man” (Jesus) than the miracle. With proof and with good argument, people mad the obvious statement that:
Punchline Part 1 = “If this man were not from God he could to nothing (John 9:33)
Punchline Part 2 = “Lord I believe! …and he worshiped him.”Jesus healed this man both physically and spiritually(John 9:38)
- Jesus raises Lazarus from the dead – Jesus doesn’t just this because he missed his freind Lazarus. He did it so…
Punchline Part 1 = “…that God’s Son may be glorified through it”(John 11:4)
Punchline Part 2 = “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die” (John 11:25)
For all the 7 miracles, the punchline is = “Then Jesus said, ‘Did I not tell you that if you belive, you will see the glory of God?'” (John 11:40)
Do you see the puchlines and now believe?